Top 5 Kenyan Election campaign posters. I stood still at a matatu stop the other day and a band of red teashirted boys with flour and water paste covered me in election posters of yet another shiny faced politician. As I peeled them off I decided to rate my top five campaign posters.
I’m not going to profess to know that much about the Kenyan elections that take place tomorrow. If you are interested you can always read the papers. This article in The Guardian gives a good account.
There are many fascinating aspects comparing the run up to the election here, to the dry stagnant campaigns we are used to in the UK. Everyone is talking about it. For in depth analyses on tribal connotations, who will win, corruption etc. I revert you back to sources who allege to know more.
What has fascinated me is the campaign promotion. The leafy streets of Nairobi are plastered with campaign posters. Whatever the surface, a politician has pasted their face across it. Most, are quite horrific. A direct flash on black skin is not flattering. However there are a few posters that have become my favourites.
1) Easyjet Groundstaff Man in Wheelchair. I don’t know what he stands for…oops..promise no pun intended….but his bright orange livery, shirt and the fact that he is the only photo I have seen with full bodyshot showing off his shiny wheelchair makes me warm to him…If it was just his face I’m sure he wouldn’t be making my top five….oh have I been manipulated…good campaigning.
2) Brother Paul. This man brazenly states he is a man of God and that only a true man of God can lead the people. This man of God has more posters on more walls, trees, pavements, bollards than any other. He even has a hookie Tesco…You Shop We Drop van with his ugly face all over it. Every Little Helps…I’m sure Jesus would agree…especially when you are out on Tuesday cleaning up the streets of all your litter. ..yeah right?!
3) The Man from The Gangsta Party. This guy looks like he is from da hood. In his campaign meeting I’m sure they thought it would be a good idea to copy Arnold Schwarzenegger’s campaign, but accidentally picked one of his movie poster’s instead. ’Raw Deal’ springs to mind.
4) The Other Man Who Wants to be President. His campaign manager looked at this guy’s face, a face only a mother could vote for, and said ’Let’s make you look like Obama’. Out of all the candidates running for President Peter Kenneth is the only one you’d be half happy introducing to your mum. Anyway, so they blatantly copied the famous Obama ‘Hope’ poster but oh dear how could they get it so wrong. It is in reds, oranges and blacks and instead of giving a calm sense of hope and a better future, it looks like the devil having a stroke.
5) Oh, did I say top five….darn…I’m done. I did have lots more photos but those of you who read my previous post will understand why I can’t post them…would be hypocritical given I’ve just slagged off the others photography skills.